Bush: fuck 'em, we'll go in alone!

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jan 23 11:24:39 PST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Reuters was quoted as saying:

> China and Russia, as well as Canada, joined France and Germany
> Thursday in opposing any rush to war. They said U.N. weapons
> inspectors should be allowed to continue efforts to disarm Iraq by
> peaceful means. Washington dismissed the objections, saying it would
> find other supporters if it decided to go to war.

This is a great time to protest: when there is a growing split. It's exactly the kind of thing that made Seattle effective. Almost every article I read these days that takes the split seriously also refers to "the growing anti-war movement in the US and the Europe." The reason they refer to it now because they want there to be one. The image of crowds adds a dramatic element to the reality of dropping polls and diplomatic statements. When it fits a narrative and political need like that, its effect is multiplied.

Washington says it doesn't care. But you can hear in their annoyance and anger that they do. Will it be enough? Maybe not. But it will have an effect. It's worth doing.

Michael