Is Gitlin on FBI payroll?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Jan 23 19:58:10 PST 2003

Max B. Sawicky wrote:
> I listened to it with an ear and a half and it didn't
> seem to be any big deal.
>
> Git says a more middle-class message would be more effective
> than ANSWER's stew of half-baked radical bromides. Well
> of course it would. If only Git and his friends could summon
> up a mighty demo of that type. Even so, he didn't say people
> should not go to ANSWER demos. He didn't piss on the anti-war
> movement, broadly speaking.

Sounds like Gitlin just has his head up his academic ass. Americans are far more radical and militant than most mainstream activists want to admit.

> One issue is whether you use the war to build the left, or
> you build the left by stopping the war. I would guess most
> people here would opt for the latter.

This is the problem with the left, that this dilemma is even discussed.

Our goal should be to stop the U.S. war machine. If more people join our ranks over the long run, that's fine, but recruitment should never be a factor in our tactics and praxis.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips