Badly drafted law? Was Re: Raimondo on Ritter

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 24 08:39:02 PST 2003

Ritter was lucky. He could have been prosecuted in state court on federal charges. But my point was just that the charged conduct is in fact illegal, contrary to what Doug said, even if Ritter wasn't (happily for him) charged under the federal provisions making what he was accused of a very serious felony offense.

No, there would be no federalism dispute under the fed statute. First, federal law would trump if there was a difference. Secondm there is no disagreement. The statute says that if what you did was a crime in your state, and the child was under 18 and you used the wires, you're guilty of the federal offense.

As for minors committing offenses, there are the usual questions about whether to charge someone as an adult, and there are rules about that with which I am not too familiar. but strictly speakink the teenager making internet passes at the 13 year old might well be technically criminally liable. My guess is that the authorities would not bother with a case like that.

jks