Decriminalization of Drugs

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Fri Jan 24 18:13:04 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/24/2003 5:44:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com writes:

> > Also, out of curiosity, what do you mean by "out to be
> IN THE MAIN decriminalized". This suggests that you
> think there are some exceptions. If so, can you tell
> me what they might be?
>
> Maybe crack cocaine. I'm open to the idae that some drugs are so dangerous
> to self and others than their use ought to banned. Heroin's not like that,
> for example. But I don't think anyone should to to jail for long period for
> possession or even sale of small quantities. jks

Oh come on. Why crack cocaine and not powdered cocaine? Can we please aim for at least proportionality with equal treatment for equivalent quantities? Could we possibly also entertain the need for well-designed research on real medical applications instead of outright decriminalization?

I would put methamphetamine on the same list as crack cocaine and probably on the same grounds: it's HIGHLY addictive. It causes its users to do unbeli evably stupid things. It is strongly associated with long-term brain damage. It is VERY easily cooked and people who cook it are prone to having small children around, to illegal dumping, and to a wide range of bad social effects.

Do I think evil effects of drug use should be fought heavily with social services intervention rather than onlaw law enforcement? Yep. Do I think there might be some appropriate uses for speed? Yep. Rarely and VERY tightly controlled, more so than the Air Force or some sweatshops currently do now! Do I want it to stay illegal: yes I sure as hell do so and I speak from the perspective of knowing people involved with it who need every angle possible for outside intervention for this NASTY problem.

DoreneC -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030124/167a1b0e/attachment.htm>