Decriminalization it all!

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 24 21:59:39 PST 2003

--- Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:

> -------------
>
> A much more interesting proposition is not just
> lifting the criminal
> penalties on street drugs, but combining that with
> removing the
> prescription requirement on all drugs.

Chuck, the removal of prescription requirements is already in place in some european countries. When I lived in Italy, I could just go and ask a pharmacist when I needed a drug for, say, a flu.

> It would be a very interesting experiment to see
> what would
> happened. After the first few hundred thousand dead
> eager beavers I
> would imagine the figures would level off.

Well, I dont know. If we had REAL HONEST TRUTHFUL drug education in schools (rather than the Nazi tactics and disinformation by groups like D.A.R.E.) I suspect those numbers would be diminished. Chuck, there was an incident a few years back over in Fremont, where a child turned in his parents (for pot, I think) as a result of instruction received in one of those D.A.R.E. programs

.. And for
> those who get
> themselves addicted to whatever, well
> dicriminalizing drugs, makes it
> a whole lot safer to get off drugs.

I once got addicted to a prescription drug. It was a couple of weeks of hell getting unhooked, but at least I didn't have to get thrown in jail, get a police record, etc. to get off the stuff. So, I agree with you totally.

-Thomas

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"