More Bad Dad

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sat Jan 25 22:08:10 PST 2003

Thomas Seay re Chuck Grimes:

> > So I went out to find the most hippy, free love, big
> > titted, (probably
> > dope smoking) warm loving and smart teacher I could
> > and moved his ass
> > into another school where the anal atmosphere was
> > zero.
> >

> Good for you Chuck! I would love to move my daughter
> into a school like that. Do you know of any schools
> like that down here on the Penninsula? Seriously,
> maybe one of these teachers knows of a school down
> here like that.

Yeah there are schools and there are schools, but I think kids are the best authorities on what they need and what they don't. Does she want to move? Does she feel she needs to? I mean that -- I believe you do what suits them and their relation to learning/knowledge/social networks etc., not what suits yours.

Well, that came off way more "I know best" than I meant it to. I only meant -- alternative schools can be just as oppressive as any other. You aid them, not pick for you. And I'm sure you know that, and I just didn't avoid the "I know" thing at all, did I?

I feel strongly about the whole making education systems work for the person being "educated" thing.

> > After these experiences I decided that authority
> > trips were obnoxious
> > nasty and actually harmful, plus they didn't work.
>
> Man, you want to come down to my house for dinner
> some time. I would like you to talk with my wife
> about this. I am not saying that kids should just be
> allowed to run wild, but they basically know what they
> like to do and should be encouraged to follow their
> likes and talents instead of being put into a
> cookie-cutter or following what Mom and/or Dad impose
> on them.

But you can't just say what works for you (in theory) works for them (as a lived thing). And on the "running wild" score -- totally depends what you mean. I had heaps of people telling me my son was "running wild" at say 12-14. Now, at 17 point whatever, he's socially confident, personally independent, academically brilliant, and, more importantly, a really great person -- self- aware, intelligent, and with great ethics. I say, doesn't matter where they go to school anything like it matters how you are with them, what you think of them, that you have really minimal agendas for the person they're meant to be and, most of all, that you treat them as now people not to-be people.

And I will disclaim all this as either heat-inspired hysteria or a computer virus, because the only answers to parenting are the ones that work for both of you.

> -Thomas
>
> =====
> <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling
> into life,
> eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>
> -Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"

Thomas, this is scary. I mean, this quote, that post? I'm assuming random somethingorother but... eeeww.

C.

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/