The Lysistrata Project (03/03/03)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jan 26 07:20:38 PST 2003

Since Marta's remarks, I've been thinking of symbolic targets: the U.S. Department of Treasury (1500 Pennsylvania Ave., NW Washington, D.C. 20220); local offices of the Internal Revenue Service (Cf. <http://www.irs.gov/localcontacts/index.html>); the Federal Reserve, 20th St. and Constitution Ave., NW, Washington, DC (+ NY, Dallas, Boston, San Francisco, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Richmond, Kansas City, Chicago); New York Stock Exchange (11 Wall Street, NYC); American Stock Exchange (86 Trinity Place, NYC); NASDAQ-Amex (1735 K Street, NW Washington DC); etc.

***** MAGISTRATE (addressing the women): I would ask you first why you have barred our gates. LYSISTRATA: To seize the treasury; no more money, no more war. MAGISTRATE: Then money is the cause of the war? LYSISTRATA: And of all our troubles. It was to find occasion to steal that Pisander* and all the other agitators were forever raising revolutions. Well and good! but they'll never get another drachma here. MAGISTRATE: What do you propose to do then, pray? LYSISTRATA: You ask me that! Why, we propose to administer the treasury ourselves. MAGISTRATE: You do? LYSISTRATA: What is there in that to surprise you? Do we not administer the budget of household expenses? MAGISTRATE: But that is not the same thing. LYSISTRATA: How so -- not the same thing? MAGISTRATE: It is the treasury supplies the expenses of the war. LYSISTRATA: That's our first principle -- no war! MAGISTRATE: What! and the safety of the city? LYSISTRATA: We will provide for that. MAGISTRATE: You? LYSISTRATA: Yes, we! MAGISTRATE: What a sorry business! LYSISTRATA: Yes, we're going to save you, whether you like it or not.

* Pisander: An Athenian, one of the leaders of the oligarchical party, and instrumental in bringing about the establishment of the Council of Four Hundred (Thuc.vi. 27 Thuc., 60; viii. 49Thuc., 63Thuc., 89; Alcib.).

<http://eserver.org/drama/aristophanes/lysistrata.txt> *****

In the meantime:

***** About The Lysistrata Project

The first-ever world-wide theatrical event for peace is coming to a city near you on Monday, March 3rd, 2003! Theatre artists from around the planet are raising their collective voice against war by producing readings of Lysistrata in order to:

* Let the Bush Administration know that we oppose their war on Iraq. * Provide events where citizens can unite to enjoy an evening of spirited, comedic theatre while raising public awareness about the volume of war opposition. * Provide a humorous entree into a healthy community dialogue: What CAN we do on a local level to stop "diplomacy by violence" in our world? * Raise money for organizations that work for peace and human rights.

Take Tangible Action!

Join the Lysistrata Project to inspire community action and communication. Produce a reading of Lysistrata in YOUR city. THINK GLOBALLY, ACT LOCALLY! Click here <http://www.pecosdesign.com/lys/spearhead.html> to find out how...

<http://www.pecosdesign.com/lys/about.html> *****

***** The Lysistrata Project

holds that economic justice benefits all life on Earth, that placing people over profit, woman's full worth over controlled reproductive function, partnership over dominance, brings peace, and that these outcomes call for a heroic alliance. Thus, we are dedicated to bridging the spiritual, social activist and women's communities, and through our combined economic power humanizing the global agenda. In the immediate, we call for a collective NO! to the war on Iraq and to the assault on our civil liberties.

Through our extensive links, we reveal the vastness of our numbers, the diversity of our efforts, and our collective power to birth a common good. We are guided by Gandhian principles of nonviolence and economics in seeking inventive solutions. We feature news, a calendar of events, the societal cost of war, the ties between oil, multinational corporations, war and the desecration of our Earth, ideas for withdrawing our consent to business as usual, action alerts, inspirations, a global photo album and more. We invite submissions. And we encourage you to join us from March 3-8, 2003 in "Peace Days"--free, to whatever extent possible, of shopping, driving and working as global communities Gather the Women.

<http://www.lysistrataproject.org/aboutus.htm> ***** -- Yoshie