Lula goes to Davos

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 27 10:55:54 PST 2003

kjkhoo at softhome.net wrote:

>Evidently, here's someone who believes the Iraqis of Baghdad, all
>four million of them, deserve the "shock and awe" that's coming to
>them, have their city taken out, the power and water supply done
>in...
>
>I'll remember this the next time I see the US flag flying in some crowd...
>
>Really -- search as I could through Thiago's post, I nowhere found
>the Baathist regime mentioned. Still, the presence of Iraqi flags is
>enough to set DP frothing. Should I then froth the next time I see
>the US flag in some crowd with Iraqi, Palestinian, Chilean,
>whatever, flags?

Yeah, really, Dennis, you're acting as reflexively sectarian as any of the sects. Besides, if you believe that SH rules Iraq by pure repression with no popular support, what's the rationale for punishing the people of Iraq for the crimes of their despot? Our government is more-or-less democratic, so the American people can, on some level, be held responsible for their government. I wouldn't want to argue that justifies attacking civilians - quite the contrary, I'd argue against it. But it's a lot more plausible a position than terror bombing Baghdad.

Doug