FRIDA review

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Jan 27 14:15:03 PST 2003

>I dont know how this discussion morphed into this.
>First, Martha made some excellent points about how the
>movie concealed Kahlo's handicap. And then Marta and
>I both speculated that it was because the actress was
>going to be pushed as a "bimbo" (I dont know why bimbo
>is used, the correct word would be "bimba") and that
>it wouldn't have been sexy if the withered leg had
>been put into evidence.

Well, it is not that it would not be sexy, it is that it would not be conventionally sexy. I thought Lewis was sexy in "My Left Foot" for instance. So the challenge for the film was to make reality sexy. Kahlo did have sex appeal. She had many lovers, including famous ones besides Trotsky. It is the conventionality of the film that I criticize.

Marta