Dept of Labor censors union publication

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Tue Jan 28 10:36:01 PST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 at 11:36am Doug Henwood wrote:

> Brian O. Sheppard wrote:
>
> >(Texas AFL-CIO eNews)
>
> Just how many union members are there in Texas? My
> cliched Yankee image is 0, but it's obviously a positive
> number. So how many?

I don't know the answer to your question, but remember the oil/chemical industry around Houston is heavily unionized because the big oil companies are largely unionized. The living wage campaign in Houston a few years ago was organized and lead by the local AFL-CIO. The old Oil, Chemical & Atomic Workers Union, which is a pretty militant union, has a presence here. (I say 'old', because I think they merged w/ another union a few years ago and changed their name.)

But I do take your point; I am always a little surprised when I see a pickup truck go by with a pro-union label on it.

-- no Onan