Dept of Labor censors union publication

J Cullen jcullen at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 28 16:55:35 PST 2003

Texas has an active AFL-CIO which does the best it can, given the general antipathy towards unions. The old Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers union, which was one of the main supporters of the Labor Party, is now part of PACE (Paper, Allied-Industrial, Chemical & Energy Workers International Union) after merging with the paper workers' union a few years ago, and the new union seems less progressive. Other large unions in the state include CWA (SBC and AT&T), UAW (there's a couple car assembly plants in Texas), Teamsters, Service Employees, AFSCME, Texas State Employees Union (AFGE affiliate, I think), Texas State Teachers Association (NEA affiliate) and I think the aerospace plants in Dallas/Fort Worth are Machinists. Those are the main ones you see represented at the Legislature.