Jordan's Islamists issue ifatwa-i against journos

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Jan 28 10:52:42 PST 2003

> >And the anti-imperial resistance continues . . .
>
> Against whom is this directed? No one here that I know of has
> endorsed fundamentalist Islam as a worth anti-imperial force. Just
> because Hitch does it doesn't make it cool.
>
> Doug

Hitch has nothing to do with it (you have me confused with Peter K). And, no, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but there has been talk, both here and elsewhere, that since the US and its Arab clients have suppressed democratic movements in the Arab world, the only anti-imperial game left in town is the Islamic one. Yes, they are imperfect and misguided, but they do hate the West, and that's a start, etc. etc. It is *that* tendency I was commenting on.

Just because Hitch and I are friends doesn't mean that I parrot his views or even share most of his positions. This confusion on your part has led to you and others to assume that I favor the "terror bombing of Baghdad" among other delights. Of course, there's no proof of that, since I don't. But because I *do* question the motives of the antiwar crowd, even while I share their disdain for Bush's planned aggression, many here feel that I secretly pine for the grisly deaths of Iraqi children. It's an astonishing disjunction of logic, but I suppose for some it'll do.

DP