Jordan's Islamists issue ifatwa-i against journos

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Tue Jan 28 14:01:32 PST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 at 1:52pm Dennis Perrin wrote:

> Hitch has nothing to do with it (you have me confused
> with Peter K). And, no, it wasn't directed at anyone in
> particular, but there has been talk, both here and
> elsewhere, that since the US and its Arab clients have
> suppressed democratic movements in the Arab world, the
> only anti-imperial game left in town is the Islamic one.

I know there has been such talk elsewhere (I remember some Milosovic and Castro fans diggin' on bin Ladin and friends after 9/11), but who on this list has claimed that islamists were worthy partners of leftists?

We know Carrol has signed a pretty disgusting pro-Slobo petition. We know there are unrepentent lenninists about the joint. But I really can't remember the pro-islamist folks. I freely admit I do not read every post from this list that shows up in my mailbox, so I may have missed it.

> Yes, they are imperfect and misguided, but they do hate
> the West, and that's a start, etc. etc. It is *that*
> tendency I was commenting on.

Ah, West Haters. Now I feel like I'm driving home from work listening to Sean Hannity. Who are the West Haters?

> Just because Hitch and I are friends doesn't mean that I
> parrot his views or even share most of his positions.
> This confusion on your part has led to you and others to
> assume that I favor the "terror bombing of Baghdad"
> among other delights.

Just for the record, so no new misunderstandings of others' positions crop up as a result of this post: I am completely aware that you are not a fan of Bush's war plans.

> Of course, there's no proof of
> that, since I don't. But because I *do* question the
> motives of the antiwar crowd, even while I share their
> disdain for Bush's planned aggression, many here feel
> that I secretly pine for the grisly deaths of Iraqi
> children. It's an astonishing disjunction of logic, but
> I suppose for some it'll do.
>
> DP

-- no Onan