SOTU

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Jan 28 12:27:28 PST 2003

Of course, Bush in the past has benefitted from low expectations. Now, people are assuming that his speech will be effective, so the counter-programming of conventional wisdom could take him down, with commentators declaring the "Bush magic is gone." I have never been that impressed with Bush speeches (except parts of his nomination speech) and he has horsecrap to sell this time around-- he has the danger that the lies he tells about the tax cut may get contradicted in the next day's paper. He could, as some people note, get "Gored" on the details and made to look like a liar.

So we'll see which way the conventional media wisdom goes on this one.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max B. Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 3:01 PM Subject: RE: SOTU

It will help him. They have smart people to write speeches to make him look good, and the platform is an unmatched opportunity.

mbs

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 2:46 PM To: lbo-talk Subject: SOTU

So what are the odds on the State of the Union effect? My guess is that as long as Bush avoids visibly frothing, it will be proclaimed a "home run" by the pundits, who will condede that he still has a little more work to "close the deal" on the war, but conclude that the speech was a masterful and heroic intervention that has changed the course of history. Am I being too pessimistic?

Doug