LBO-talk's favorite charities?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 28 15:26:15 PST 2003

> Doug, I was wondering if you'd mind forwarding the
> message below to the list. I'll read responses in the
> archives. Thanks.
>
> What are some of the list's favorite
> charities/philanthropic orgranizations? I am
> particularly interested in those that do work
> overseas, but would like to learn about any that are
> LBOtalk-worthy. Thanks.

The concept of "charity" or "philanthropy" is very deceiving (as most of theright wing propaganda). Nonprofits receive on average only about 11% of their income from charitable donations, most of their revenues come from fees and dues (49%) and government support (40%) see http://www.jhu.edu/~cnp/research.html.

My favorite npos are those that engage in advocacy to influence policy rather than those that provide direct services, although direct service provision can have an important political aspect (cf. services to AIDS victims or victims of domestic violence, doctors without frontiers, etc.). Giving money to service oriented npos in this country while the gov't spends out tax dollars on star wars and other military adventures is like giving money to a kid who spent all his allowance on candy and now asks for money for food. I always tell folks who collect money for noble causes - If our government decided to waste our tax dollars on star wars instead providing funds for your noble cause, then do not ask me to make up for governemnt irresponsibility.

Wojtek