Whither the "Anti-Globalization" Movement? Re: Raimondo on WWP

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 27 11:58:48 PST 2003

Liza Featherstone wrote:

>Also, a lot -- even most -- of the "anti-globalization" activists have been
>actively protesting the war, and bringing to that movement an
>anti-imperialist, social justice consciousness, as well as playful
>sensibility, creative tactics, confrontational energy, etc. I think for a
>lot of people, protesting the war is sort of inseparable from protesting
>things like the WEF, it's just that even more people participate in the
>anti-war protests.

And this is a major reason why the antiwar movement has gotten so large so quickly - there were habits and structures of protest already in place. And I think it's good for everyone that more traditional peaceniks are working with globo activists. Let's see what happens after the first 800 cruise missiles fly.

Doug