Whither the "Anti-Globalization" Movement? Re: Raimondo on WWP

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Jan 27 13:46:16 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Liza Featherstone wrote:
>
>> Also, a lot -- even most -- of the "anti-globalization" activists have
>> been
>> actively protesting the war, and bringing to that movement an
>> anti-imperialist, social justice consciousness, as well as playful
>> sensibility, creative tactics, confrontational energy, etc. I think for a
>> lot of people, protesting the war is sort of inseparable from protesting
>> things like the WEF, it's just that even more people participate in the
>> anti-war protests.
>

> And this is a major reason why the antiwar movement has gotten so large
> so quickly - there were habits and structures of protest already in
> place. And I think it's good for everyone that more traditional
> peaceniks are working with globo activists. Let's see what happens after
> the first 800 cruise missiles fly.

One only has to look at the signs and puppets and contingents in peace movement marches to see that the anti-globalization activists are out there protesting war too.

For me, I was protesting war when I was doing anti-globalization work. I'm not one to compartmentalize my dissent.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips