LBO-talk's favorite charities?

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Tue Jan 28 23:07:21 PST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Wojtek's perspective in this instance, though, has honorable
> left-wing pedigrees, both in social democratic and Marxist
> traditions: e.g., George Bernard Shaw, _Major Barbara_; and Bertolt
> Brecht, _Saint Joan of the Stockyards_.

Many things that are wrong have "honorable left-wing pedigrees." That in and of itself doesn't mean anything to me, nor should it to others.

I'd agree that it's better to address the root causes of social problems than treating their symptoms. But until the root causes are addressed and dealt with, I think acts of individual compassion and generosity can make limited differences, and shouldn't be altogether discounted. In any event, it was simply a comment to Wojtek. I've been in foul moods before and not wanted to give change to people on the street. I wake up some days hating people just as much as the next crank. Not every aspect of my life is lived in accord to what leftist thinkers deem best. I'm human, not a robot.

Brian

--

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Il etait enfin venu, le jour ou je fus un pourceau!" - Comte de Lautreamont, Les Chants de Maldoror, 4th Hymn, Strophe 6