LBO-talk's favorite charities?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 30 03:20:05 PST 2003

At 11:07 PM -0800 1/28/03, Brian O. Sheppard wrote:
>But until the root causes are addressed and dealt with, I think acts
>of individual compassion and generosity can make limited
>differences, and shouldn't be altogether discounted

I don't altogether discount it, but I can't imagine that there's much money in left-wing hands in the USA. Trying to make ends meet, in personal finance, and trying to break even, in activist projects that I help organize, are all I can do; and, for all my efforts, at the end of the month, I generally end up in the red. I don't think that I'm an atypical leftist in this regard.

If anyone here is loaded and in a giving mood, though, send a check payable to The Community Organizing Center, to the following address, with a note that you heard about it from me:

The Community Organizing Center 1101 Bryden Road, Columbus, OH 43205.

The Community Organizing Center helps organize actions and sponsor events of the kind listed in the following calendar: <http://www.service.ohio-state.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> & <http://www.freepress.org/DefaultMain.ASP?Page=Schedule>. For more information, e-mail <walk at igc.org> or call 614-252-9255.

The initial query concerned "charities," though. The Community Organizing Center isn't a charity in the sense of an institution that provides services to the poorest. It is, instead, one of the hubs of political organizing and networking in Columbus. I think that it makes more sense for left-wingers to support our own political institutions than to give what little we have to "charities" that are quango service providers. -- Yoshie