LBO-talk's favorite charities?

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Jan 29 11:58:33 PST 2003

Oh don't get me started :) No, the Guild nationally is a c(4) organization, and the local chapters are a mixture of c(4)s and unincorporated associations, with a couple of projects like the National Immigration Project incorporated separately as c(3)s.

There is no reason under the law for the Guild not to be a c(3), since we do so little lobbying, but there you go.

However, if anyone wants to contribute, there is a separate Guild Foundation, which does fundraising on behalf of the Guild-- mostly receiving bequests and donations from people who want the tax writeoff.

Politically, it's a nightmare waiting to happen, since trying to deal with the tax laws this way by separating a c(3) fundraising arm from a main c(4) political arm creates great opportunity for a political split to lead to the small number of "trustees" on the c(3) arm to walk off with the money. This actually happened to the CPUSA when it split in the early 90s, with the northern California c(3) foundations going over to the Committees of Correspondence, leading to protracted painful litigation.

But everything is copacetic at the moment so no worries if people want to send a check.

-- Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "andie nachgeborenen" <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 2:51 PM Subject: RE: LBO-talk's favorite charities?

> And, for balance, a group I'm not involved in, the
> National Lawyers Guild,
> www.nlg.org--we're gonna need 'em. Dunno if it's
> (c)3 or not.
>
> Jenny Brown