Comcast rejects antiwar ad

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Jan 29 13:45:52 PST 2003

Liza:

> > the fetus-snuffing crowd,
>
> whoa. I'm all for colorful language, but this is a pretty disgusting way
> characterize people who support a woman's right to end a pregnancy.

Disgusting, but accurate. The fetus is snuffed -- heart stopped, tiny body tossed. You can dress the terminated human in a NOW t-shirt if you wish, but it doesn't mask the grisly fact.

> > who naturally objected ("pro-choice" meaning that
> > you must choose abortion or you are the enemy of all women).
>
> You're off-base here. A venerable feminist slogan is useful here, "If
you're
> against abortion, DON'T HAVE ONE." One can -- and does -- have all kinds
of
> debates and discussions about the morality and the complexity: with
oneself.

Being pro-choice myself, I agree. But there is a tendency among some feminists -- specifically the Funding Exchange's reaction in the Progressive's case -- to attack and try to marginalize anti-abortion speech where they can, esp if it's in their own ranks. Recall Pennsylvania Governor Robert Casey not being allowed to speak to the Dem convention in '92 because of his anti-abortion views (though the Dems allowed Repub pro-choicers to do so). If you are truly "pro-choice," then why the fear of hearing anti-abortion views? That's what I'm referring to.

> that said, I would have run the Feminists for Life ad.

Me too -- though I wouldn't have portrayed it as Knoll did.

DP