Comcast rejects antiwar ad

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Thu Jan 30 00:42:18 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 10:51 PM Subject: Re: Comcast rejects antiwar ad

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>
> > > A venerable feminist slogan is useful here, "If you're against
> > > abortion, DON'T HAVE ONE."
>
> > But we would have considered obvious
>
> Obvious?
>
> > but inadequate
> >
> > --"If you're against slavery, DON'T OWN ONE;" or
> >
> > --"If you're against the war on the Vietnamese, DON'T KILL ONE."
>
> Yes, and you know why we would have considered them inadequate? Because
> slavery was wholly wrong and the Vietnam war was wholly unjustified.
>
> So what makes this rhetorical form inadequate to slavery and war is
> exactly what makes it la phrase juste for abortion: because abortion isn't
> wholly wrong and isn't always unjustified. There is thus always a
> question to be settled. And after the larger trimestral limits have been
> set, those of us who favor this slogan feel the question involved should
> be settled privately rather than by the state. And that in the case of
> dispute, the deciding vote should be that of the woman involved. All of
> that is expressed quite concisely in that slogan.
>
> I assume that those of you who think it's like the Vietnam war think
> abortion is always and everywhere wrong and unjustified; and that the
> deciding vote should be that of the state enforcing a criminal law. I
> assume you can see where we differ.
>
> Michael

Michael, Michael, Michael,

Justification, the State and Privacy make for immense tragedy. That citizens engaged in war to point out the contradictions of Slavery, the limits to the rhetoric of Justification and voting and have yet to come to terms with the polysemy of Privacy will make democratic politics ever more................

Ian