lbo-talk-digest V1 #7333

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Thu Jan 30 06:35:24 PST 2003

Oooh goody, an abortion flamewar. Doug, you must be pleased.

Liza Featherstone wrote:

>Just wondering, is there any country in which women lack >this basic right,
>that is not a backward theocracy or an otherwise >horrendous dictatorship?

I believe that the Republic of Ireland fits into the first category but not the third; the issue of whether it is a "backward theocracy", and indeed whether it ought to be, is a perennial topic of the letters page of the Irish Times.

and ...

Dennis Perrin wrote:

>What's "pro-choice" about that?

Lordy, you must've wowed them in the fourth form debating society. Tune in next week as Dennis remarks on the irony of anti-censorship activists not printing articles in support of censorship.

>In addition, I've been involved with professional
>feminists [..] they of course belittled my opinion (which
>at the time was more devil's advocate) because I was a
>man and the issue was none of my business.

That's the way you remember it. Might I advance an alternative hypothesis; that they told you to go away because they thought you were acting like a tosser?

>I'm pro-choice

And anti-war, you say. In the same vein, I would like to take this opportunity to make a bland lip-service disclaimer that I don't think that you're a painfully boring, immature, rude fuckwit who should take his "iconoclastic" act to the end of the pier at Blackpool where somebody might enjoy it. I just think that these issues need to be addressed without hiding behind dogma. You twat [see above disclaimer].

> But in my experience with
> professional lefties, abortion usually comes down to Us
> and Them. Not much of a choice there.

"Us" implies that you had friends. Tell the truth and shame the devil; acting like a knobhead on purpose is the loneliest place in the world.
>Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:48:55 -0500
>From: Dennis Perrin

I'll say this for Dennis, you get your money's worth. Unless you're paying for the hosting of this list, I suppose.

>The modern women's, or feminist, movement

Dennis, there are about twenty feminists active on this list and none of them can stand you. I don't see any reason to believe that they're not a representative sample of feminists. How on earth would you ever find anything out about the modern feminist movement? Or are you in real life polite enough to have the sort of conversation where you would get this information? In which case, I think I speak for many on this list when I say we'd like the same treatment. You utter, utter dickhead {"I don't think you're a dickhead by the way")

dd