Comcast rejects antiwar ad

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 30 08:34:47 PST 2003

Dennis Perrin wrote:

>As I said to Liza, professional "pro-choicers" are only "pro-choice" when
>people agree with them about abortion. The "pro-choice" Dem party, during
>its '92 convention, wouldn't allow Pennsylvania Governor Robert Casey to
>address the delegates on the abortion issue because he had the wrong
>opinion. And to really stick it to Casey, the Dems invited pro-abortion
>Repubs to address the delegates instead.
>
>What's "pro-choice" about that?

Choice: abortion should be legal and it's up to the woman to make the choice. Casey and other anti-choicers want the state to make that decision.

Liza pointed out to me last night how many progressive/leftists/radical/whatever men make prolife noises and then claim they're prochoice. Hitchens (former leftist) and Cockburn come quickly to mind.

To me, it's a bedrock issue. If women can't control reproduction, they're not free, and structurally subordinated to men. I don't see why I should let someone who thinks otherwise speak at my political convention.

Doug