Comcast rejects antiwar ad

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Jan 30 09:26:30 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "budge" <budge at el-pleasant.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 12:11 PM Subject: Re: Comcast rejects antiwar ad

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 at 11:51am Nathan Newman wrote:

> I wouldn't vote for this platform but I also wouldn't want
> to censor the discussion by those who might want to
> promote it.

-So Casey wanted to have a discussion about universal health -care? who knew!

Well, here is how Nat Hentoff, a progressive anti-abortion writer, described Bob Casey's priorities. See http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~rauch/nvp/civil/hentoff_casey.html

"As governor of Pennsylvania from 1987 to 1994, Casey created model school-based child-care programs that offered infants and preschoolers--including poor children--full-day services and before- and after-school programs. That way, teenage parents could stay in school and poor adults could go to work knowing their children were safe. He lobbied unsuccessfully for universal health care in his state, but, failing that, as The New York Times reported in its May 31 obituary, "he did sign a bill providing health insurance for children whose families were too poor to pay for it but whose incomes were too high to be eligible for public assistance." Before breast cancer became a political cliche, Casey invested $1 million in awareness and screening for the disease and required HMOs to pay for annual mammograms for women over 40. Harvard University pediatrician T. Berry Brazelton described Casey's multidimensional health care programs for women and children as "a model for the rest of the country."

This is not an unreasonable program from which to discuss commitments to opposing abortion AND supporting women being independent as well.

-- Nathan Newman