Comcast rejects antiwar ad

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Thu Jan 30 10:03:29 PST 2003

This may seem "not unreasonable" to some people. But it is unreasonable to me, and I daresay I'm not alone. I agree that a single-focus on abortion rights is ridiculous, and agree that abortion rights without full social supports for motherhood amount to mandatory abortion for some women -- just as horrible a form of gender oppression as anything. Agree that supporting pro-choice Republicans is obscene and makes a mockery of feminism. BUT while a position like Casey's may be more palatable than that of your run-of-the mill right-to lifer, it basically amounts to "we support mandatory motherhood but we'll just try to make it as nice for you as possible." It is a benevolent patriarchal despotism. You might as well say, well, we've decided you still have to wear a burka but you can go to medical school. I'm all for finding common ground and making alliance with enemies -- I even liked that recent times op-ed on how pro-choicers and pro-lifers could work together against policies both find horrendous -- but it's pious and sentimental to tout progressive anti-choicers as "reasonable."

over my limit. sorry.

Liza