etymology of "homeless"?

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 12:40:00 PST 2003

On 30/1/03 7:35 pm, "joanna bujes" <joanna.bujes at sun.com> wrote:

> Etymology isn't exactly what's needed, but I would like to figure out
> how/where/when this term was introduced. Any ideas?

Here's the full OED online entry, if that's any help...

Chris

***

[f. HOME n. + -LESS.]

    1. Having no home or permanent abode. Usually of persons; hence transf. of their condition, etc. (In quot. 1615 quasi-adv. in comb.)     1615 CHAPMAN Odyss. I. 94 His daughter 'tis, who holds this homeless-driuen, Still mourning with her. 1782 V. KNOX Ess. cxlv. (R.), Friendless, homeless, unbeloved, unregarded. 1793 COWPER A Tale 28 Or was the merchant charged to bring The homeless birds a nest? 1802 WORDSW. Sonn., ŒJones! as from Calais¹, A homeless sound of joy was in the sky. 1871 R. ELLIS Catullus lxiii. 58 Shall a homeless Attis hie him to the groves uninhabited?       2. Affording no home or dwelling-place.     1797 MRS. RADCLIFFE Italian vi, Going forth into a new and homeless world. 1812 J. WILSON Isle of Palms II. 455 Thus left by herself on the homeless sea.       Hence homelessly adv., in a homeless condition, without a home. homelessness, homeless condition.     1829 Blackw. Mag. XXVI. 286 Who o'er this scene of clay Once wandered homelessly. 1848 DICKENS Dombey xlviii, Forgetful of her homelessness. 1862 R. VAUGHAN Eng. Nonconf. 41 His life of poverty and homelessness.

***