Mandatory fatherhood

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 31 11:50:24 PST 2003

Dennis Perrin wrote:

>How progressive. Here's what a "hangnail" (Carrol's word) looks like and
>acts like at 16 weeks:
>
><http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_calendar/week16.html>
>
>Best to have an extra large set of clippers handy. These hangnails can be
>tricky.

This is getting very tedious. Now you're adding tendentious fetus pictures to your already long and growing list of rightwing cliches - oh, but you're still prochoice!

Did Saddam gas his own people too?

An interesting list, appended without comment - other than a question: which set of countries do you find most congenial?

Doug

----

<http://www.crlp.org/pub_fac_atkwwsup.html>

Countries, by restrictiveness of abortion law, 1999

1. Without restriction as to reason

Albania* Armenia* AustriaÝ Azerbaijan* Belarus* BelgiumÝ Bosnia-Herzegovina*-PA Bulgaria* CambodiaÝ Canada-L Cape Verde* China-PA/L/H Croatia*-PA Cuba*-PA Czech Rep.*-PA Denmark*-PA Estonia* France*-PA Georgia* GermanyÝ Greece*-PA Guyana*** Hungary* Italy§-PA Kazakhstan* Kyrgyzstan* Latvia* Lithuania* Macedonia*-PA Moldova* Mongolia* Netherlands-PV N. Korea-L Norway*-PA RomaniaÝ Russian Fed.* Singaporeý Slovak Rep.*-PA Slovenia*-PA South Africa* Sweden** Tajikistan* Tunisia* Turkey*-SA/PA Turkmenistan* Ukraine* United States-D/PA/PV Uzbekistan* Vietnam-L Yugoslavia(F.R.)*-PA

50 Nations, 40.8% of World's Population

II. Socioeconomic Grounds (also to save the woman's life, physical health and mental health)

Australia-D Barbados-PA/R/I/F Belize-F Cyprus-R/F Fiji Finland-R/F Iceland-R/I/F India-PA/R/F Japan-SA Luxembourg-PA/R/F Saint Vincent & Grenadines-R/I/F Taiwan-SA/PA/I/F United Kingdom-F/NI Zambia-F

14 Nations, 20.7% of World's Population

III. Mental Health (also to save the woman's life and physical health)

Algeria Bahrain-F Botswana-R/I/F Gambia Ghana-R/I/F Israel-R/I/F Jamaica-PA Liberia-R/I/F Malaysia Namibia-R/I/F Nauru New Zealand-I/F Portugal-PA/R/F Saint Kitts & Navis Samoa Seychelles-R/I/F Sierra Leone Spain-R/F Switzerland Trinidad & Tobago

20 Nations, 2.6% of World's Population

IV. Physical health (also to save the woman's life)

Argentina-LR Bahamas Bolivia-R/I Burkina Faso-R/I/F Burundi Cameroon-R Comoros Costa Rica Djibouti Ecuador-LR Equatorial Guinea-SA/PA Eritrea Ethiopia Grenada Guinea Jordan Kuwait-SA/PA/F Liechtenstein Maldives-SA Morocco-SA Mozambique Pakistan Peru Poland-PA/R/I/F Qatar-SA/F Rep. of Korea -SA/R/I/F Rwanda Saudi Arabia-SA/PA Saint Lucia Thailand-R Uruguay-R Vanuatu Zimbabwe-R/I/F

33 Nations, 9.9% of World's Population

V. Permitted only to save the woman's life or prohibited altogether (countries in bold make an explicit exception to save a woman's life)

Afghanistan Andorra Angola Antigua & Barbuda Bangladesh Benin Bhutan-U Brazil-R Brunei Central African Rep. Chad Chile-ND Colombia Congo (Brazzaville) Dominica Côte d'Ivoire Dem. Rep. of Congo-F Dominica Dominican Republic Egypt-SA El Salvador-ND Gabon Guatemala Guinea-Bissau Haiti Honduras Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Kenya Kiribati Laos Lebanon Lesotho Libya-PA Madagascar Malawi-SA Mali Malta Marshall Islands-U Mauritania Mauritius Mexico-D/R Micronesia-U Monaco Myanmar Nepal Nicaragua-SA/PA Niger Nigeria Oman Palau Panama-PA/R/F Papua New Guinea Paraguay Philippines San Marino Sao Tome & Principe Senegal Soloman Islands Somalia Sri Lanka Sudan-R Suriname Swaziland Syria-SA/PA Tanzania Togo Tonga Tuvalu Uganda United Arab Emirates-SA/PA Venezuela Yemen

74 Nations, 26% of World's Population

*Gestational limit of 12 weeks. ÝGestational limit of 14 weeks. ýGestational limit of 24 weeks. §Gestational limit of 90 days. **Gestational limit of 18 weeks. ***GESTATIONAL LIMIT OF 8 WEEKS. Notes: For gestational limits, duration of pregnancy is calculated from the last menstrual period, which is generally considered to occur two weeks prior to conception. statutory gestational limits calculated from the date of conception THUS have been extended by two weeks. SA=Spousal authorization required. PA=Parental authorization/NOTIFICATION required. R=Abortion allowed in cases of rape. LR=Abortion allowed in the case of rape of a woman with a mental disability. I=Abortion allowed in cases of incest. F=Abortion allowed in cases of fetal impairment. L=Law does not indicate gestational limit. PV=Law does not limit pre-viability abortions. D=Federal system in which laws differ according to state. classification based on GROUNDS UPON WHICH ABORTION IS AVAILABLE FOR largest number of people. ND=RECENT LEGISLATION ELIMINATING ALL EXCEPTIONS TO PROHIBITION ON ABORTION MAKES AVAILABILITY OF DEFENCE OF NECESSITY HIGHLY UNLIKELY. H=HONG KONG, CATEGORY II WITH NOTES R/I/F. NI=NORTHERN IRELAND, CATEGORY III. U=LAW UNCLEAR.