Sam Donaldson explains it all

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Fri Jan 31 19:32:25 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/31/2003 12:04:09 PM Pacific Standard Time, dhenwood at panix.com writes:

> [from today's Page Six - someone tell Hitchens!]
>
> [President Bush] is from West Texas. When you see a rattlesnake on a
> trail, you pull out that gun, and you go boom, bam. You do not
> assemble a coalition to discuss the rattlesnake" - Sam Donaldson on
> "Hardball with Chris Matthews" explaining the president's willingness
> to go it alone in Iraq.

I know this quote is supposed to stand alone, but gosh dang I wish I had the slightest confidence that Shrub has ANY experience whatsoever with rattlesnakes. You may affect a nice hick drawl while readingt he rest of this if you l - ai - ke.

--If you actually SEE a rattlesnake, you have to have been ignoring a whole lot of rattling! Rattlesnakes generally blend into the background so they are likely to see you and rattle, probably more than once, long before you see them.

--Saddam Hussein IS NO RATTLESNAKE. For one thing, he ain't exactly HIDING out on the trail.

--Once you see a rattlesnake, it is nearly always possible to back away without getting bitten. In fact sticking around to blast away with the six-shooter can really be a dumb-ass idea. If you miss you just wind up with an even more pissed off rattlesnake that's even more likely to strike.

--One analogous argument is "we shouldn't ... because the results could be a whole lot more destabilizing...."

--Rattlesnakes only deliver venom about one out of every 4 bites and even if they bite, their venom is much less poisonous than the other poisonous snakes in the US.

--Okay, okay, can you say "emptiy warheads."

--You'd think Shrub could at least cite some gruesome self-help tricks about how to suck out the venom

--I am not sure whether rattlesnakes are officially endangered, but they are certainly "threatened." If anyone is fool enough to be blasting away at a rattlesnake with a six-shooter, they darn well better be prepared for some explicatin afterwords.

--Uh-oh. If Shrub holds the Endangered Species Act in the same high regard as he holds certain international treaties....

--If one doesn't manage to blast all the rattlesnakes away with a sixshooter, I believe rattlesnakes' value in the ecosystem is that they eat rodents. Probably someone should tell Sam Donaldson to be careful where he leaves his hairpiece though.

DoreneC -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030131/b29194e6/attachment.htm>