[lbo-talk] Change [was: Kees van der Pijl]

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jul 1 07:39:15 PDT 2003

At 4:16 PM -0400 6/27/03, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>>According to the OED, the word "stagnate" made its first appearance
>>in 1669; the word "stagnant," in 1666; "stagnancy," in 1665. The
>>world had began to change in capital's image, and it was no longer
>>good enough to do as well as before.
>
>I think the world started to change (at least from the human
>perspective) when one of our prehistoric ancestors picked up a stick
>(Strauss's _Also Sprach Zarathustra_ playing in the background) and
>hit his compatriot over the head with it to get ahead of him in the
>pecking order. Everything else that followed has been just an
>ever-escalating cycle of actions and reactions to that first hit.
>Capital was just one actor in that development, and often did not
>get what it wanted, as the European welfare state and US New deal
>illustrate.

Capital changed the nature and place of change in the world:

Pre-capitalist & Pre-modern: No systemic compulsion to innovate ceaselessly and grow economically Capitalist & Modern: Systemic compulsion (dictated by market competition) to innovate ceaselessly and grow economically

Pre-capitalist & Pre-modern: The dominant view of "history" (be it secular or spiritual) = cyclical Capitalist & Modern: The dominant view of history = linear, secular, and "progressive"

Pre-capitalist & Pre-modern: Presumably more "barbaric" nomads often conquered presumably more "civilized" sedentary peoples Capitalist & Modern: Presumably more "civilized" sedentary peoples generally conquered presumably more "barbaric" nomads and made them sedentary or pushed them to the margins of existence or both

Pre-capitalist & Pre-modern: Military conquerors often adopted culture of the conquered Capitalist & Modern: Military conquerors generally impose their culture on the conquered

Pre-capitalist & Pre-modern: Radically different relations of production and cultures can and did coexist within and between empires Capitalist & Modern: One relation of production -- i.e. capitalist relations of production -- and culture that goes with it become hegemonic _worldwide_, modify the other relations of production and cultures, and subordinate them to itself -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>