[lbo-talk] A Call from the Maoists of Iran

Jonathan Lassen jjlassen at chinastudygroup.org
Tue Jul 1 11:49:13 PDT 2003

Chris,

Mao is utterly despised by most intellectuals in China, although most of their ire is usually directed at post-anti-rightist-movement (1957) Mao. Some still admire and respect the fact he actually led a revolution which kicked out the colonial powers and the KMT, and did away with the landed aristocracy.

The CCP of course can't entirely repudiate Mao in word, as they stand on the Maoist legacy to a large extent. But in deed they've done their best.

Very different picture among farmers and workers. You'll find lots of nostalgia there. Mao is used as a foil to protest the corruption, arbitrariness and powerlessness that people experience daily. How widespread? I have no idea. But workers in northeast China carried portraits of Mao when they demonstrated. I have no doubt that Mao - with his emphasis on egalitarianism, collectivism, self-sacrifice and solidarity - will continue to be a resource that people draw on in their struggles.

At least that's my take,

Jonathan