[lbo-talk] How close was it?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 19:53:19 PDT 2003

Right, thanks for correcting my dates, can't imagine what possessed me. Wrote the right ones, then deleted them because they looked wrong, and wrote the wrong ones. Actually, the Nazis were fighting in the south suburbs of Moscow. I have stood at the monument marking their furthest advance. But the batle of Moscow wasn't the turning point. The following summer and fall was the fight for the Caucasus -- and Stalingrad, what Churchill called The Hinge of Fate. Some argue that the real turning point was Kursk, somewhat later, and that did wipe out the Nazi armor on the Eastern Front, but I'll hold with majority opinion that Stalingrad was the real turning point. The last point at which the Nazis could have won against the Sovs was probably the failed Caucasian drive for the oil fields of Baku. So far as I know the US and the Brits never shared sonar and radar with the Sovs, probably should loo0k up when they got it. jks