[lbo-talk] reality show of the techie unemployed.

Guilherme groschke at luminousvoid.net
Wed Jul 2 08:28:32 PDT 2003

from dave farber's IP list.

-gr

Subject: The interesting times in which we live

Dave -

Don't know if this is IP worthy or just something that might interest you, but eight unemployed former high-tech journalists (including myself) have created a Web site that plays with the idea of reality programming and tries to make it meaningful.

It's called 8goodpeople.com, and we eight - including a Pulitzer Prize winner, the woman who was the first news editor of CNET, a former National Geographc staffer - are using the reality programming genre to try to

get the attention of prospective employers by writing about what life has been like without a steady paycheck. We like to think of it as reality programming without the TV and the shlock factor.

I don't know if our experiment will work or not - that is, if we will find jobs because of the site; but we felt it was a creative use of our talents and therefore worth the time. Though we've only been live for a few days, we've already heard from other unemployed high-tech workers who want to be on our "second season." We don't have one planned, but it really is a sad commentary on the state of unemployment in this country and how many high-tech workers, journalists among them, have not been able to find work.

I hope you can take the time to check it out.

Thanks, Connie Guglielmo site creator, 8goodpeople.com k