[lbo-talk] Re: consensus-direct-representative democracy etc

Ben Pincas benpincas at isuisse.com
Wed Jul 2 09:15:09 PDT 2003

The only democratic country on this planet is Switzerland - yes, of course, it is a "direct" democracy, because that is what a democracy is, direct.

It has no record, in its long history, of totalitarianism, McCarthyism etc. even though some referendums have covered very controversial issues.

Democracy is about voting on issues.

There seems to be a strange myth that votng for an official is democratic.

The root of the word is in "kratos", which according to Chambers means strength.

We've had aristocracies, theocracies, and we have now plutocracies. Or, better said maybe, mediacracies.

Find out where the "strength" is in the law-making process, and you will have discovered what type of Cracy we have.

But a democracy it cetainly ain't.

Any time the people voted for something against the wish of the wealthy, there was a coup in some form or other.

Wasn't it Kissinger who, when asked about the overthrow of Allende, said that people can vote for ANYTHING they like....?

The USA is no model for democracy - Switzerland IS.

Ben