[lbo-talk] Au Revoir Techie Arrogance, was offshoring vs technical visas...

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 13:18:59 PDT 2003

Ulhas Joglekar wrote:

I don't understand why there is this scare about job losses in the US.

*******

Doug replied:

Because it was supposed to be the industry of the future, invulnerable to foreign competition, unlike cars and textiles. And because the culture of many techies is arrogant and entitled - it wasn't supposed to happen to them, just loser blue-collar workers.

Lord yes.

The 90's were a tough decade for those of us who didn't nurture an inflated view of technology and technologists. Particularly if you happened to be a technology worker. Although I brought the topic of job losses and offshoring to the list's table, and harbor worries of a practical and existential character, I must admit to feeling a sense of relief that all the 'new paradigm' hot air has cooled. There are only so many swaggering 20-something Flash 'coders' a person should have to tolerate in one lifetime.

The bust came just in time for those who want to actually use the machines to help real folks. The poseurs have fled (or been purged) leaving (almost) only the lovers. Now often under, mis or unemployed but still trying to do useful things in the technosphere.

These are the folks for whom the boom was merely a sideshow.

DRM