[lbo-talk] Another Comparison of U.S. to Fascism

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Wed Jul 2 16:56:11 PDT 2003

Hi,

See below...

-----Original Message-----

From: Doug Henwood [mailto:dhenwood at panix.com]

Sent: Wed 7/2/2003 7:21 PM

To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Another Comparison of U.S. to Fascism

Chip Berlet wrote:

>So Doug, if reality was determined by everyone you know, bell hooks

>would be President.

I think I'd prefer Al Sharpton myself. I've got issues with symbolic

lower-casing of proper names. I was happy when Jill Johnston gave it

up.

"Fascism" is a dicey classification. I think the Nazis gave it a bad

name, if you know what I mean - by being so violently

exterminationist they obscured other fascist regimes' affinities to

what you call rapacious capitalist imperialism.

A lot of the things Umberto Eco says about ur-Fascism - in the piece

you helped format

<http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_blackshirt.html> - sound a lot

like the American Way, especially its current moment - the worship of

tradition mixed with a love of technology, the rejection of

modernism, "the cult of action for action's sake," the treatment of

thought "as a form of emasculation" and culture "[a]s suspect

insofar as it is identified with critical attitudes." "Disagreement

is treason," the feeling of being "besieged [and] plotted against,"

"pacifism is trafficking with the enemy," "life is permanent

warfare." "Selective populism." "Newspeak." Eco says: "Ur-Fascism is

still around us, sometimes in plainclothes."

You prefer to tar Buchanan & Co with the fascist label, and I don't

think that's fair. He's a bigot, for sure, but not all bigotry is

fascist, is it? I don't see how you can have fascism without some

kind of imperialism and militarization of society; Buchanan's not

about that. He's a nativist who'd like to seal the U.S. off from the

outside world and return society to the racial and sexual norms of

the 1840s. Vidal has a lot in common with that. They're not as

anti-intellectual as Bush & Co either.

Doug

Hi,

And here is where the more recent scholarly analysis of fascism, including Ledeen, has merit. There is a difference between a fascist movement and a fascist regime. Fascist movements sound populist and anti-elitist, fascist regimes seek totalitarian control over every aspect of society through repression. Fascist movements decry repression and seek to build mass popular coalitions to topple the regime.

Finally, DOUG, if you had actually READ "Right-Wing Populism in America" you would know these arguments, and understand why it is fair to call Buchanan fascistic. So read the book already and put me on your show.

:-)

Chip

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 6030 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20030702/be88c226/attachment.bin>