[lbo-talk] 'Bring them on'

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Jul 3 07:27:33 PDT 2003

N P Childs wrote:

> "There are some who feel like that conditions are such that they can
> attack us there," Bush told reporters at the White House. "My answer is
> bring them on. We have the force necessary to deal with the situation."
>
> <<http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=3027229>http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=3027229>
>

> Keee-riste. It's hard to tell where to start; the Commander in Chief
> sounding like a drunk 19 year old in a downtown bar, or soldiers in
> Iraq, 10,000 miles from home, in a country they don't understand that is
> getting less enamored of their presence as each day passes looking at
> this and going 'Oh good, now he's inviting them to attack'.
>
> BTW, anyone know how this would translate into Arabic? I have to believe
> that an expression like this so bound N American in idiom would
> translate into something more, er, prosaic in Arabic like 'Deliver them
> unto me' or something like that.

I was rolling on the floor in laughter yesterday after I heard this quote. Then I saw Bush on TV and saw his slurred speech, so I shook my head in amazement and fear that he is up to something again.

Last night I was hanging around one of our activist spaces and was surprised to find out that all of the activists I talked to had heard this quote already. I mentioned to several people that Bush was sounding like John Wayne. Another activist suggested that Bush had been watching too many re-runs of the "A Team." The best analysis was from one activist who asserted that Bush had gotten this language from "The Rock," of pro wrestling fame.

Chuck0