[lbo-talk] Howard Dean: "Now That We're There We Can't Leave"

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Thu Jul 3 11:39:06 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 01:11 PM, Shane Taylor wrote:

> Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>
>> seriously, would a 100% withdrawal today (let's
>> suppose hypothetically that such a thing is even
>> possible logistically, much less politically) not be
>> utterly irresponsible? it seems to me like we run
>> the risk, as leftist critics of US imperialism, of
>> looking like we want to have it both ways, namely
>> attacking the administration for hanging around too
>> long and attacking them for their usual half-assed
>> liberation programs, as in afghanistan.
>
> No, the point is that the means contradict the ends. It's about
> challenging the notion that an occupied Iraq is a liberated Iraq. Iraq
> isn't liberated; it's an occupied nation. The occupation is the
> problem,
> not the solution, just as in Gaza and the West Bank. The left
> challenge
> is how to, ultimately, bring about the withdrawal of the occupation.
> The
> hypothetical above assumes away the core problem at hand: the US has
> little to no legitimacy in Iraq, and will have to resort to repression
> maintain and further its rule.
>
> A left position could be elections, as the US-backed regional leaders
> in
> Iraq are abandoning while at least one southeren Shi'ite leader has
> issued a fatwa for elections, to establish an *independent* provisional
> government. Either that, or push for a national Iraqi referendum on US
> statehood. Seriously.
>
> The left, rather than feeling the pain of US officials, should be
> outreaching to the Iraqi resistance in search of vaible allies, and
> provide them with a forum in the US & UK. Neither Kucinich nor Dean
> has
> nor will do this.
>
> -- Shane

i don't disagree with your argument, here, or even with your call (if we an call it that ;-) for iraqi statehood. i also don't think it's mutually exclusive with the problem i set out. indeed, later in my post, i'm headed the same direction when it comes to your point about legitimacy and repression.

i agree a legitimate *iraqi* government (gov't by and for iraqis) established through elections is something to push for, but that isn't exactly the same thing as pushing for a withdrawal of troops per se (and i'm afraid i can't follow carrol on this path). what i wonder is what we'll do when people vote for a shiite theocracy.