[lbo-talk] wacko weather

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 4 11:12:32 PDT 2003

During the early 1980's, when the PBS show "Nova" still focused on explaining science, instead of the celebrations of night vision goggles, fighter jets and drone aircraft it seems to do quite often these days, I watched a show that introduced me to the topic of global warming.

At the end of the program, as a sepia toned film of an industrial facility filled the television screen - its smokestacks pouring dark clouds into the hazy sky - the narrarator, Barbara Feldman (famous for her performance as Agent 99 in the 1960's espionage comedy series, "Get Smart") said in a calm, professional voice:

"...we do not know if these models for climate change are accurate yet. But if they turn out to be true, within a generation, two at the most, we will begin to see radical alterations as the aggregate energy of the Earth's climate system increases. Only time will tell if humanity will respond intelligently."

A generation, more or less, has passed since that show first aired. It appears the time is now.

DRM