[lbo-talk] "Feminists for Kucinich"

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Mon Jul 7 12:44:28 PDT 2003

---------- From: Jeff Cohen <jeffco at kucinich.us> Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:18:44 -0400 Subject: New Support from "Feminists for Kucinich"

For Immediate Release Contact Jeff Cohen 845-679-3313

The Kucinich for President Campaign takes a big step forward today with the announcement of "Feminists for Kucinich." Eight diverse feminist writers and organizers have initiated a statement in support of Kucinich, which will be widely circulated to attract new supporters.

The original signers are: BARBARA EHRENREICH, political essayist and author ("Nickel and Dimed"); ANGELA GILLIAM, professor and expert on Black feminist anthropology; YNESTRA KING, writer and activist on environmental, feminist, and disability issues; GAIL LERNER, organizer in the global women's movement and with U.N. agencies; GRACE PALEY, peace activist and author ("Enormous Changes at the Last Minute"); ROSALIND PETCHESKY, international feminist activist and political science professor; DIGNA SANCHEZ, Latina community activist in New York; MEREDITH TAX, novelist, essayist and international organizer of feminist writers.

Although the statement has just started to circulate, it has already attracted signatures from such prominent feminists as BLANCHE WEISEN COOK, biographer of Eleanor Roosevelt; MARILYN FRENCH, author of "The Women's Room"; actress and singer RONNIE GILBERT; Jewish activist and poet IRENA KLEPFISZ; and political scientist ZILLAH EISENSTEIN.

Here is a summary of the statement.

FEMINISTS FOR KUCINICH Rather than waiting to hear what all the Democratic candidates have to say, then jumping on the bandwagon of the least offensive, we decided to make our own list of priorities and see who agrees with us.

1) We want a candidate who will stop the war on the poor. 2) We want a candidate who stands for peace, respects international treaties and institutions such as the U.N. and the International Criminal Court, and tries to resolve problems through negotiation. 3) We want a candidate who will defend the separation of church and state, and the individual rights guaranteed us by the Constitution.

4) We want a candidate who opposes discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity, and who stands for women's reproductive rights and recognizes that these rights depend on universal health insurance. 5) We want a candidate who will address questions of global economic imbalance and stand up for the rights of immigrants. 6) We want a candidate who will challenge racism domestically and internationally.

Dennis Kucinich is the only candidate who not only agrees with all these points but has developed policies to support them: starting a cabinet-level Department of Peace; supporting unions and the right to organize; cutting the bloated military budget; restoring environmental regulations and launching a "Global Green Deal" to benefit developing countries; withdrawing from NAFTA and the WTO and challenging IMF/World Bank policies; repealing the "Patriot Act"; upholding Roe v. Wade; working for universal health insurance; and abolishing the racially and economically biased death penalty.

Because we feel that he comes closest to representing our priorities, we have decided to support Dennis Kucinich for President.