[lbo-talk] Re:Liberia

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 7 16:06:16 PDT 2003

Max B. Sawicky wrote:

>I think this is on track. The U.S. intervenes in
>Liberia to justify its intervention in Iraq -- to
>demonstrate it is not always and everywhere self-
>interested.
>
>More to the point, perhaps, is whether this should
>be supported, or at least not criticized. Given the
>lack of a compelling U.S. interest and the limited
>intervention implied, we might expect some good to
>come of it.

So they're going to send a token force of 500-2,000 - or so said Andrea Mitchell on Meet the Press yesterday (who, by the way, was very tough on Sen John Warner on the admin's war lies - since she's Mrs Alan Greenspan, does that mean bourgeois opinion is shifting?). What could they do? They could get picked off quicker than the guys in Baghdad are falling.

Doug