[lbo-talk] Re:Liberia

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Mon Jul 7 16:29:14 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max B. Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>

> I think this is on track. The U.S. intervenes in
> Liberia to justify its intervention in Iraq -- to
> demonstrate it is not always and everywhere self-
> interested.
>
> More to the point, perhaps, is whether this should
> be supported, or at least not criticized. Given the
> lack of a compelling U.S. interest and the limited
> intervention implied, we might expect some good to
> come of it.
>
> mbs

Given the US corporate and evangelical footprint on the continent [see "Warlord Politics and African States" by Reno and "Violent Environments" ed. by Nancy Lee Peluso and Michael Watts] and the behavior in Iraq, it would be naive in the extreme to think the Bushies are doing any of this out of altruism.

Ian