[lbo-talk] condi on all things considered

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Mon Jul 7 17:04:35 PDT 2003

http://discover.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.jhtml?prgDate=07/07/2003&prgId=2

I imagine a number of you heard this, but condi demurred about US troops in liberia, today.

she also extended the "revisionist history wmd-defense strategy" initiated by W a while back, thusly:

"let's be real. nobody believed that saddam hussein had given up his weapons of mass destruction. this is simply revisionism, to . . . that anyone suggests that this was not a country with weapons of mass destruction. You go back to 1991 [he had the weapons and used them, etc.] in 1994 and 1995 [his brother's account of the programs] in 1998 and 1999 the UN reports that there were large numbers of unaccounted for [chemical and biological weapons].

"This was a brutal dictator who had an appetite for weapons of mass destruction, had had them in the past, had used them in the past, had them unaccounted for, was trying to acquire more in the future. the basis of intelligence for this was absolutely solid."

and then she plays her "connect the dots" card, getting quite defensive, even. blah blah blah.

logical and evidentiary holes you could drive a mack truck through. what does it mean, for example, to "[have something] unaccounted for"?

not new, but it does bear out my sense of the administration's strategy. it's beautiful, really: (a) asking for evidence of wmd is by extension a "revision" of saddam, the "brutal dictator with an appetite for weapons of mass destruction", and (b) it's a win-win for the administration, since finding weapons would have justified the invasion ("he has the weapons!") and *not* finding them *did* justify the invasion ("he's got the weapons, but we can't find them!").

spin-o-matic. another day in the bush usa, I guess.

ps -- no comment AT ALL on nukes or on an al-qa'ida connection

-- http://www.brainmortgage.com/

"Philosophy can only be realized by the abolition of the proletariat, and the proletariat can only be abolished by the realization of philosophy." - Marx