[lbo-talk] do an end run around Microsoft

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Wed Jul 9 19:14:55 PDT 2003

From: Michael Perelman Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:29:35 -0700

> Office is also a big money maker.

Indeed: IIRC it's said (but I can't find a cite) that Office directly accounts for a third of M$'s revenue, and indirectly drives a lot of revenue attributed to Windows. So if you're really concerned about billg's cash-on-hand, try

http://www.openoffice.org/

Great software (note that it reads and writes the Dark Formats) and a great community. (While you're at it, strike a blow for net hygeine: quit using IE and Outlook, the internet's leading virus distribution system.)

IMHO Office (esp the file formats) is M$'s crown jewel, not Windows: note the success of, e.g., Crossover Office and Citrix. Most endusers I've observed don't really know/care much about the OS and filesystem-- they could probably be migrated to Aqua, Gnome, KDE, et al without great difficulty--but you'd hafta pry Word, Excel, and PowerPoint outta their cold, dead fingers.