[lbo-talk] Re:Liberia

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at sun.com
Fri Jul 11 09:56:43 PDT 2003

No need to read too much into this Liberia thing: They're doing whatever it is they are going to do because they're a bunch of frickin' incompetent morons caught in their own ideological trap. Having failed to convince with Iraq on other grounds (WMD, terrorism, evil Saddam threat), they've had to fall back on the old imperialist standby, Kiplings' "humanitarianism", including 'democracy', 'liberation' and all that - you know, imperialism as a great exercise in charity. They're forced to gesture in Liberias' direction in an effort to make this last ditch act look convincing.

In reality it is all part of their own self-squewering. US imperialism has no interest in Liberia worth mentioning, other than ideological.

If you really belive, as I do, that this whole neocon PNAC exercise is a form of cognitive dissonance, really a type of ideological psychosis, then 'sense' can be made out of things like Liberia. Perhaps they may want to drum up some African troops on the cheap for service in Iraq - who knows?

-Brad Mayer

Message: 5 From: "Max B. Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Re:Liberia Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:38:37 -0400 Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

I've always been extreme so if I'm naive, why break the pattern. It's true I'm a cock-eyed optimist.

Perhaps the Bushies are practicing altruism for non-altruistic purposes.

The bastards.

Given the US corporate and evangelical footprint on the continent [see "Warlord Politics and African States" by Reno and "Violent Environments" ed. by Nancy Lee Peluso and Michael Watts] and the behavior in Iraq, it would be naive in the extreme to think the Bushies are doing any of this out of altruism.

Ian