[lbo-talk] What's Up With the Italian German Bashing?

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Fri Jul 11 12:26:18 PDT 2003

I suppose everybody's read the news. 1st Berlusconi insults Germany's Martin Schulz when the latter heckled Berlusconi on his legal problems as Berlusconi was taking over the presidency? of the EU.

This was followed by Berlusconi appointee Stefano Stefani, in charge of tourism for Italy, insulting Germans generally as beer swilling belchers hogging Italy's beaches.

I can't believe this is Right Wing madness. Is the right winger Berlusconi bashing Germany for Bush over Iraq?

Is there something deeper, perhaps attempting to wreck the EU with bad feelings? On behalf of the hegemon perhaps?

Is this something that should not be of interest to the Left?

Wassup?

John K. Taber