[lbo-talk] USA scoffs at its own laws

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Jul 11 13:23:50 PDT 2003

andie: Charles, The C has no requirements for _conducting_ war; it imposes a requirement for _declaring_ war. You can argue that the framers assumed that we wouldn't be running around conducting undeclared wars, but nonetheless, they left the window open. ^^^^^ CB: Declaring is the first step in conducting, and clearly was intended as a necessary premise to all elements of war that would customarily follow. Do you have any authority for the proposition that they left the window open ? ^^^^^ andieAs to your interpretation of "make" to mean "end," do you have any authority for that? (As any judge would say . . . .) jks ^^^^^ CB: Same authority as for your " Make is one thing, withdraw is another"
:>)
Lets go at it this way. The wording of the Constitution doesn't give the President or anybody the authority to end treaties. Where is the source of the President's authority to end treaties ? But then no treaty could ever be ended. So, we look to the wording below for authority to end treaties, and assume that "make" includes "unmake", which is the text would condition the President's authority on the Senate's consent.