[lbo-talk] USA scoffs laws

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 12 08:41:38 PDT 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> The proper remedy for a
> presidential invasion of a Congressional prerogative
> is impeachment. And, moreover, there no plausible case
> that there was any such invasion, unless you insist,
> nontextually! -- that "enter" also means "leave."

What I don't understand is Shane's religious veneration of "THE LAW" and his indifference to politics. Demanding an impeachment is at least a minimally political response. One can organize, for example, to bring pressure on Congress. One can circulate petitions, thereby energizing those circulating the petition and potentially bringing to political activity those whose signatures are sought. This triggers direct discussion of _political_ issues among a larger circle, and perhaps (if the substantiveissue, independently of legality or illegality is of sufficient import) began to generate more collective activity of a more extensive kind among a larger circle of activists & supporters.

Shane's approach is simply apolitical.

And incidentally, I've just explained to Doug if he's interested (which I doubt) my reason for saying there has been no political activity for 30 years or so in the u.s. Actually, I learned this from reading Hannah Arendt before I had ever dreamt that I would become a marxist.

Carrol