[lbo-talk] USA scoffs laws

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 12 11:30:48 PDT 2003

--- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

Veneration for the law is _my_ department. But because I also know what I am talking about -- this isn't becuase I am so clever, it's because I went to law school, you could do it too -- I also know the limits of the law. The law is a tolerably blunt instrument for dispute resolution, and only moderately effective as a vehicle for progressive politics. The Warren Court may have created a set of illusions that has not died yet, partly because it is useful to the right to have "librul activist judges" to whale on, even almost 20 yrs into the Rehnquist court, partly because it gives young youngers and law profs at the elite schools the satisafaction of a self-image of a litigation crusader. But in fact the courts are fairly conservative and the law is _by design_ an way to moderate conflict rather than unleash change. As to Shane, he, like many Americans, imagines that the meaning of the Constitutional text is self-evident abd plain. To him. People who disagree are just being obtuse. (too bad there are so many of them!)

jks