IT Sweatshops Breaking Indian (was Re:[lbo-talk] US firms turn to India for chip designing)

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 10:08:18 PDT 2003

Matthew Bradley wrote (quoting Wired article):

Because of the time difference between India and the United States, the work day for these workers starts late in the evening and extends until dawn. Such odd work hours have brought on a host of health problems including digestive diseases, hair loss, back pain and stress.

Yes, of course.

As I mentioned in a post of about week or so ago, I witnessed similar mistreatment of Indian IT workers right here in the US in the course of an SAP deployment project. These women and men also suffered from chronic headaches, indigestion and various other nervous conditions.

Which is why, when responding to folks who seem to believe that this is all just the spreading of high tech joy to the globe (and Americans who express doubts and fears are spoilsports or, worse, racists) I point to the sweatshop conditons and exploitative character of the enterprise.

The law of unintended consequences will produce a host of interesting effects from all this movement of IT jobs and processes - some of them beneficial to workers.

But, in the main, it will be more of the same bullshit, only this time with flat screens and Internet access.

But, it's time to get positive. I'm sure that once my number is up and I'm forced to Wal Mart (if they'll have my over-educated ass) at least I'll look fetching in one of those blue vests.

DRM